Becoming a life coach is a noble endeavor. It is a job that requires you to become a persons’ guide to succeeding in the goals that they’ve set for themselves. When you decide to become a life coach, you decide to become a beacon of hope for others and a guiding hand that will lead them down the path of success.
Not all who decide to become life coaches actually succeed in doing what they aim to do. Those who do become successful coaches end up with learners who achieve their goals, whether it is to find their path in life, find the right career, find the love of their life, or to simply become a better person overall. How do they do this?
The secret to becoming a successful coach is to cultivate habits that can help you with your goal of helping others. These habits will allow you to help others unlock their potential, inspire them, guide them, and lead them to success. Here are 10 of the habits you need to cultivate in order to become a successful coach:
- They have a positive outlook – Being positive all the time is not easy but it can be done with a paradigm shift. Since your job as a life coach is to motivate and inspire people, having a negative outlook and attitude won’t help you become a successful coach. You need to be able to show people that no matter how bad things can become, there is always a silver lining to every cloud. Always looking at the bright side may seem like a cliché but if your job is to guide people to success, this is something you need to cultivate in yourself.
- They know how to listen – Part of what you do as a coach is to listen to the people you are guiding. This is half of what you are supposed to do and you have to do this well. Great coaches can listen not only to what is being said but also to what is not being said. They can read between the lines and this is how they become great at guiding the people they are coaching. To do this, you need to learn how to read the signs and to understand what their learners are saying, even when they don’t say it.
- They know how to impart knowledge – There are people who can talk but cannot get their message across. Then there are people who can express an idea and a thought in such a way that it is not only understood but actually absorbed by the person they are talking to. Successful coaches are those who can do this without making the people they are talking too feel dumb or less knowledgeable. They know how to share what they think, believe, and know while at the same time showing people they care about what they learn.
- They are not judgmental – One thing you need to practice when you are aiming to become a successful coach is to leave your prejudices and biases at the door. People come to you for advice, guidance, and help. Judging them when they tell you what they want to achieve, what they went through, and what they need help with is not a good start. Keep your opinions to yourself and don’t taint your advice with your biases. Be objective and look at it from a perspective of a coach aiming to help.
- They are observant – You may wonder why successful coaches are able to guide their learners down a path of success even when a lot of things are left unsaid. This is because they are keen observers. They see how people act around others and gain knowledge from such actions. They hear how people talk to others and this also gives them some insight on what a person’s persona is. Being observant is a key ingredient that most great life coaches have, and is something you should cultivate as well.
- They are not opinionated in front of others – It is impossible to not have your own opinion on things, but you can keep this opinion to yourself and not let it taint how you teach people when they strive towards their goals. You are supposed to guide learners towards a path that they discover themselves. They have to find this with the realizations that they make while you are coaching them. Your opinions don’t matter but their discovery of self while you are coaching them is.
- They cultivate curiosity – One thing most successful coaches do is to help learners become more curious about themselves. They help their learners introspect and find out more about what they want, what they can do, what they are aiming for, and what they don’t want to experience. They also help learners find out more about what they should do by having them ask questions and becoming more curious about the paths that are available to them.
- They know how to challenge people – Great life coaches don’t just open the eyes of their learners to things that they can do in order to achieve their goals in life. They also know how to motivate people to find ways to achieve those goals without fear of failure. They challenge people to do better, be better, and to get to where they want to go without having to succumb to their fears.
- They are passionate – A successful life coach is passionate about life and what a person can do with it. This shows in how they handle the people they are guiding and how they live their own lives. They are unafraid of showing a person how to become who they want to be and by sharing knowledge that will help them get to where they want to go. This passion shows when they talk, when they listen, when they ask questions, and when they show people what they are.
- They lead by example – One of the surefire ways to inspire people to succeed is to show them that you are a success, and this is what great coaches do. They show that they have succeeded in achieving their goals in life and are sharing the secrets to their success through coaching. Leading by example is what most successful coaches do and this can be seen in the experiences that they share with people, the ideas that they impart, and the lessons that they talk about.
These ten habits are not that easy to cultivate but they can be practiced and can become part of who you are over time. If you want to succeed as a life coach, these are habits that need to be part of your life, day in and day out. Successful coaches did not get to where they are in an instant. They had to mold who they are over time and cultivated these habits to get to where they are right now.
Other habits you also need to include in your life to become a successful coach are the habits of constantly learning as well as being able to know when to talk and when to listen. You also need to cultivate the habit of acquiescing when someone has a great idea that can work better than anything you might come up with and the habit of humility.